16 July 2009

Been a long time...

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've updated this blog. So many things have happened, I simply haven't had the energy. And I don't have any pictures for this update, or rather, I haven't moved them from the cameras (I have a new one!) to the computer yet.

First and foremost: Joanne and Grandma continue to do well. They both struggle with the chemo side effects some days, and other days feel pretty good. And this last week we had wonderful news. Some of the spots in Joanne's abdomen have started to shrink! The treatment is working! Praise God! We are so thankful. The road ahead is still a long one, but hope and faith strengthen our steps.

Jo and Dad came out here to visit us over Father's day weekend. It was hard on them both, but they made the drive anyways. We had a great weekend; Dad did some golfing with Ben, and my parents got to visit with Ben's. And then Dad made the drive back home in record time! He managed to carve nearly 4 hours off the travel time, and even more amazingly, he did it without a speeding ticket (not that he drove the speed limit or anything :)

We had dinner with Ben's family on Father's Day (after my parents left), and while the meal was very good, I don't think we'll be having steak again anytime soon because Ben's mom choked on a piece of it. Ironically, I had just had my bi-yearly CPR/FBAO refresher course a few days before and didn't expect to have to do the Heimlich again so soon. We were all lucky that I was able to help her get that chunk of steak out as she couldn't breathe for a little while there. Needless to say, we were all pretty shook up. In the usual Hammond fashion we laughed our way through the adrenaline and carried on with dinner. Ben's sister added her own hilarity to the horrible situation by hiding under the table while I was doing abdominal thrusts on her mom. It was understandable that she couldn't watch what was happening, but no one expected her to hide under the dinner table. Or to start hollering from under there to "Call 9-1-1! Call 9-1-1!" Afterward, Ben said he thought the table was talking. :) We did all laugh at that, but you may have had to be there to understand how very funny that was.

There is also some other news related to Ben and I that I wanted to share with those I haven't actually spoken with yet. Some of you know that Ben and I have been trying to make a baby for some time now. "Go" time was actually last December because I had been at my job for three months by then, but I have been off hormonal birth control for a year now. So, we finally had an appointment with a Reproductive Endocrinologist (fertility specialist)last week and now have a plan to move forward. The doctor ordered a bunch of testing, and we found out that I apparently have low thyroid function right now (my TSH level doubled in 7 months- not good), so I'm on medication for that. Other than my thyroid, my blood work has come back OK, and Ben's tests had good results, so I will be starting more medications soon. I will also be having a few more tests (ultrasounds and the like) in the near future to see what's going on in there. That's about as much detail as I'm going to go in here, if you really want the specific details, give me a call; I'll warn you, though, the details are pretty gross (to use Ben's terminology as he's reading this:). If the procedures all work out as planned, and God grants us another miracle, we could potentially be pregnant by this time next month. Which is equal parts awesome, amazing, and terrifying. But we'll take it! :)

I promise to try and keep up with blogging, and to post some pictures. I've been having fun playing with my new camera, and I have some great ones!

I leave you with some lyrics from a song by Jeremy Camp that really touch my heart and speak to where we are right now. God bless you all.


Help me to win my endless fears
You've been so faithful for all my years
With the one breath You make me new
Your grace covers all I do

Well I will walk by faith
Even when I cannot see
Well because this broken road
Prepares Your will for me

No comments: